Every year we receive around 100 new international students on the IMBRSea program (International Master in Marine Biological Resources). All of them do a Professional Practice during the spring, for six to eight weeks.
Do you want to receive one or more motivated students for a short period for a professional practice?
We would like to invite you to propose topics at your institution. The deadline is October 30th.
What is a Professional Practice?
It's an internship period where students can learn any aspect of their future career as marine scientists.
Detailed information on the Professional Practice as program component can be found on the IMBRSea website.
Why hosting a Professional Practice student?
- 1 or more students can work with you free of charge.
- Students will get to know your institute and will outreach on your activities.
- The period of the practice (6 to 8 weeks) is long enough to ensure students do not only get trained, but also contribute to your activities
- You participate in a crucial part of the training of the next generation of marine scientists, from all over the world.
When can a Professional Practice be organized and how long does it take?
In the IMBRSea teaching schedule a dedicated period from the beginning of April 2020 until the end of June 2020 is foreseen. Students should not have courses during this period. At the end of June, students attend the Annual Symposium where they present their Professional Practice experiences.
The IMBRSea Professional Practice accounts for 12 credits, equivalent to 240 working hours (6-8 weeks).
How to submit a Professional Practice possibility?
Submission and advertisement of Professional Practices are organized via the Matix platform. This online tool, supported by the marinetraining.eu platform, will also be used for the follow-up of professional practices.
- If you already have a personal account on the Matix platform, just log in and submit a topic (step 2)
- If you do not have a personal account on the Matix platform yet, you can make a personal account under your institute (partners-registering).
- Once you are logged in, you will be automatically redirected to the dashboard. On your dashboard click on the link "add professional practice topic" and submit one or more topics via the proposal form.
Each Professional Practice opportunity must be documented with:
• Host organisation
• Responsible scientist (+ email address)
• Short description of the nature of work that the student will have the opportunity to complete
• Language requirements
• Max. number of students that can candidate for this subject (1 - 4 students maximum)
• Specific competences required regarding the profile of the student
• Safety issues
• Location where the professional practice will take place
• Accommodation possibilities
• Any additional costs to be covered by the student: please note this will influence students in the selection of their topics as they are on a budget so please provide accurate information
• In case diving is involved, please specify if diving equipment is needed
What does hosting a student mean from a financial point of view?
A student from the IMBRSea program will do his practice free of charge. Accepting a student does not cost you anything. Insurance during the activities is covered by Ghent University.
What is the Professional Practice timeline?
1. Submission of topics: Call for Professional Practice topics is open from the 1st of October 2019 until the 30th of October 2019.
2. Topics published in a catalog: After approval by the IMBRSea management board, the submitted topics will be available in a catalog on the IMBRSea website.
3. Selection of topics by students: The Professional Practice catalog is provided to the students. Students will choose 3-5 options they are interested in and write a motivation for each. Deadline for selection of topics for students is November 20th 2019.
4. Selection of students: The assignment of the topics is done by the IMBRSea Coordination office, by using an algorithm which takes into account the preferences of all students as well as the evaluations by all supervisors. Professional practice mentors can choose to be involved in the selection process of the students. By December 15th 2019 topics will be allocated and the IMBRSea Coordination office will inform the students about the outcome of the selection.
5. Professional Practice: This will take place between the beginning of April and end of June 2020
6. Professional Practice portfolio: The Professional Practice portfolio shall be uploaded in a dedicated online environment to which the students, supervisors and the IMBRSea coordination office will have access.
We hope that the above information provides sufficient background information. In case you have further questions, please feel free to contact us.